Friday, April 18, 2014

Gratitude in the Rainstorm

This morning I was reading a talk by Jon Bytheway entitled "Five Scriptures that will Help You Get Through Almost Anything." As I was reading, a quote stood out to me that I would like to share. He said,

"How many times has someone prayed that 'we might get home in safety,' and we actually did? How many traffic accidents has He [God] helped you avoid? How many times has He inspired you to do something that saved someone from injury? We will never know in this life." 

This quote  made me reflect  on my own life as of right now. Yesterday, I got bit by a dog as we were walking. It began to bleed so we went to visit a home of a member (who happened to be home) and then, I had to go to the clinic to get some antibiotics. In the moment, I was pretty annoyed and upset at this dog and how we were not able to do anything else until my finger was taken care of. As I thought about this quote with that situation I realized things were probably way better than they could have been. I only received two little punctures rather than losing a finger. The member was home and able to take care of cleaning it well. And I was first in line at the clinic so I was able to be taken care of quickly. At first glance, I could have lost the chance to learn and be grateful for the blessings I did receive and the safety I did have.

How often do we quickly judge a situation without taking a second look at it? Or, as Dieter F. Uchtdorf said in General Conference,

"How much of life do we miss by waiting to see the rainbow before thanking God that there is rain?" (for whole talk see here

What would happen if we looked at things differently and were grateful for the blessings and trials we do have?

No comments:

Post a Comment