Friday, August 23, 2013

Basics of What I Believe - Básicos de lo que creo




As a missionary, our purpose is to, "invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end," (Preach my Gospel).

In order to help others to receive the restored gospel, we teach about three lessons, the first being about the Restoration of the church. We believe that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the same church that Christ established when He was on the earth. We believe the same priesthood authority has been restored to the earth through apostles of Jesus Christ to Joseph Smith. This link is to the pamphlet that explains these basic principles. It talks about how God is our loving Heavenly Father and, for this reason, He has given us families and the gospel. It talks about prophets and the church of Jesus Christ. Then, it talks about the spring of 1820, when a young boy named Joseph Smith wanted to know which church was true so that he could be baptized and follow the example of Jesus Christ. He read James 1:15 which says, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." Young Joseph decided to pray and ask God and, in his own words, he related this experience:
http://www.lds.org/media-library/images/
gospel-art/church-history?lang=eng#the-first-vision-82823
"I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, about the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me... When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other- This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!" (Joseph Smith-History 1:16-17).  

Joseph Smith was called as a modern day prophet and, through the priesthood authority and help of God, he translated The Book of Mormon. About the Book, Joseph said that the angel Moroni, "said there was a book deposited, written upon gold plates, giving an account of the former inhabitants of this continent, and the source from whence they sprang. He also said that the fulness of the everlasting Gospel was contained in it, as delivered by the Savior to the ancient inhabitants." (Joseph Smith-History 1:34).

I know that Joseph Smith was called to be a prophet and that he translated The Book of Mormon. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is fully restored to the earth again. I also know that you can know for yourself through reading and studying this book and through prayer to our Heavenly Father if these things are true. I invite you all to do so. This book has changed my life and my relationship with my Heavenly Father and Savior means more to me than anything else. This is why I am serving a mission, because I know these things to be true.

https://www.lds.org/manual/the-restoration?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment