Monday, March 3, 2014

My Lifeline

Yesterday we had stake conference [several congregations gathered for church] and someone brought up a talk from an old apostle, James E. Faust. The talk is entitled "The Lifeline of Prayer." This morning, I read this talk and was blown away by several  quotes that I would like to share with all of you.

lds.org
The first is comparing prayer to things around us- "There can never be a mechanical or electronic failure when we pray. There is no limit on the number of times or how long we can pray each day. There is no quota of how many needs we wish to pray for in each prayer. We do not need to go through secretaries or make an appointment to reach the throne of grace. He is reachable at any time and any place."

This reminds me that prayer is not something limited. We can always pray or have a prayer in our heart to talk with God. He wants to hear from us. All we need to do is talk to Him. It's like with a parent. A parent wants to hear from their children. So does God want to hear from us. "God knows our needs better than we can state them, but He wants us to approach Him in faith to ask for blessings, safety, and comfort."

Later, Faust shares a story of a little boy who was asked if he prayed. He said yes. When asked if he prayed in the morning, he said, "No...I ain't scared in the daytime." Faust went on to say, "Fear of the dark should not be our only motivation to pray- morning or night." How often do we think, "oh, I'm ok. I don't need to pray right now,"? We always need to be praying. In the scriptures, we are encouraged to pray always.

I hope all of us can remember that our Father in Heaven loves us so much and simply wants to hear from us. When we pray from our heart, we can feel the Holy Ghost and feel peace. In a world where things are super crazy, I know this is a way to find peace when it is hard to do so. I know it is how I have found peace and felt closer to God than any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment