Thursday, March 13, 2014

You Can Change

Today, I was reading an old talk by Richard G. Scott, entitled, "Finding the Way Back." It talks about how we can come back unto God for help. I have heard many people say that "it's too late" or "God does not love me that much" when referring to problems they have. Scott says, "I need not define your specific problem to help you overcome it. It doesn't matter what it is. If it violates the commandments of the Lord, it comes from Satan, and the Lord can overcome all of Satan's influence through your application of righteous principles." We will all fall at times. We are not perfect. We are here to learn and be tested but, there is always a way back. If we are willing to try, we can be forgiven of our wrong doings.

my edited photo
Now, some may be saying "I've gone through too much and it is too hard" but, this is not true. Scott said, "Satan wants you to think that it is impossible. That is not true. The Savior gave His life so that you can completely overcome the challenges you face." Jesus Christ paid the price so we can be healed.

I have a friend that felt this way. I will not go into any sort of detail but, they felt they had fallen too far, too many times. It was hard to watch them suffer and struggle. I did not know what to tell them other than to just turn to God and keep having faith. After a lot of struggles, they finally had overcome this trial. From watching this friend struggle, I learned that God really never does give up on us. He will always love us, no matter what. If we are willing to try and be better and do what He asks, He will bless us.

Later, Scott said the following, "As you pray for help, the Lord will place in your path priesthood leaders who will counsel and friends who will give support if you'll let them. But remember, they can only help by your following the rules that Christ has set out for the journey. Any lasting improvement must come from your own determination to change."

I know God helps us change and helps us be better, no matter how small or large it is. Ether 12:27 teaches us, "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness... for all men that humble themselves before me... and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." I know that scripture to be true. I have seen it in my life and in the life of my friends and family. God answers prayers. He helps us change. He will make us better.

No comments:

Post a Comment