Saturday, October 19, 2013

He Will Give Us Rest

A few days ago I posted a picture on facebook and received a comment from my father commenting on the word "rest." This comment has led me to reflect on this word: rest.

Greg Olsen picture from Facebook
In Enos 1:27, it says, "And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen."

Also, Matthew 11:28 says, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

After reading these verses, I thought once again about that word: rest. This led me to the Topical Guide in the back of our King James Bible, that says, under "rest" these words: purpose of earth, paradise, peace, quietness, Sabbath. The ones that most stuck out to me were quietness and peace.

The word peace made me think of when Christ, talking with his disciples, said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

This verse has always touched me and made me think of how we truly can find peace through Christ during hard times or when this world seems to be over crowding us.

I then returned the the Topical Guide but, this time, looked up peace. Under this word, it had two words that stuck out to me: order and silence. Silence made me think of the temple and how we can go there to find peace and receive rest from our trials and the world around us. I know when we go to places where we can feel the spirit of the Lord, we can find peace and rest. The quiet places in the world can be where we can gain the most guidance from God for our lives so that we live according to His will. I hope I can always return to those places of peace to be able to find rest in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment