Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Gift

In this past General Conference, Russell M. Nelson, a member of the quorum of the 12, said,

"The aging process is also a gift from God, as is death. The eventual death of your mortal body is essential to God's plan of happiness. Why? Because death will allow your spirit to return home to Him. From an eternal perspective, death is only premature for those who are not prepared to meet God." 

lds.org
This quote struck me. Usually when we think of death, it is full of fear or sadness. This quote brings it into another light. Death still is a sad thing for us on the earth because we miss those people who are gone but, through God, it can be viewed as something positive as well.

A gift

When I think of gifts I usually think of birthdays, Christmas, or things of that nature. I do not usually think of aging or death but, when you think about how we get to return to live with God after gaining experience, it really is a gift for us. We are able to learn and grow so, "whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come." (Doctrine and Covenants 130:18-19) Think of it: we are on this earth and able to learn more so we can continue to become more like God. It is such a beautiful gift!

I do understand that death is hard. People I know have passed away and it is hard to deal with because you do miss them a lot and many things remind you of them but, I also know that when we turn to the Lord and try to see the positive (they are no longer in pain, they are with God, etc) it is easier to cope and we are able to draw closer to God and learn of Him and trust in Him.

I experienced this this past Spring when a family member passed away. I questioned what I believed but, continued to try and turn to Christ. Through that experience, I have come to more fully rely on Christ and believe in Him. I now know that I do know that there is a life after death and that we can live with our loved ones for ever. We can return to live with God again and we can find peace.

More from this topic on an old blog: http://cisprettyfishy4cfishy1992.blogspot.com/2013/03/where-can-i-turn-for-peace.html

No comments:

Post a Comment