Friday, February 21, 2014

The Answer Key

Today I would like to talk about one of my favorite books. It is, oddly enough, a nonfiction book. Usually my favorite books deal with fairies and dragons and adventure in a land far, far, away but, this one is different. It takes place in the America's many years ago. It begins in 600 B.C. and ends about 1000 years later. It tells the stories of war heroes and people who completely change their life around. It tells of families that leave their homes and enter ships without light because of a dream. It can be related to our day by the struggles people have with their families and friends, being picked on for their beliefs, or when people tell lies about another person.

What is this book you ask? I will tell you. It is...

The Book of Mormon:
Another Testament of Jesus Christ

Like the Bible, it has the words of prophets that testify of Jesus Christ and tell of their lives in a way we can relate to. It begins with a family in Jerusalem that, during the reign of Zedekiah (a king during the time that the Jews were carried into Babylon), leaves because the father, Lehi, has a dream of Jerusalem being destroyed for their wickedness. They travel in the wilderness with a set of scriptures and build a boat to carry them across the seas to the American Continent. There, they experience lots of hardships within their family which leads to two separate groups: the Nephites and the Lamanites. These two groups constantly switch sides of who is righteous (or the "good guys") and who is wicked (the "bad guys"). Much later, after Christ's death in Jerusalem, He comes to visit the Americas and teaches them His gospel and how they can be saved. These same teachings were taught while Christ was ministering among the Jews. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. However, like the Jews, there comes a time when people reject the teaching of Christ and many things are lost or corrupted but, prophets continued to write the truth that make up the pages of this book. And I won't spoil the ending. You will have to read it yourself and find out if you believe it is true!

Each time I read this book, it has a different story to tell. Before my mission, it was all about my family and related to that. Now, as a missionary, it is all about missionary work and the people I am teaching. The words do not change but, the meaning, and how you read them, changes every time. This book has touched my life numberless times and has helped me become who I am. I'd love to invite all of you to read it and look for how it can apply to you and how you can increase your relationship with our Savior, Jesus Christ. You can get a free copy here

Questions? Go above to my facebook page and shoot me a message or, you can comment below and I will try to help answer any questions the best I can. You can also go to mormon.org or lds.org for more answers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment