Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Elementary Miracle

Today I had the opportunity to help translate at an elementary school. At first, I was super nervous because I do not feel eloquent in Spanish when it is not about the church but, I arrived and was asked to go to a certain classroom so, I headed over there. When I arrived, the teacher said that they did not need my help and directed me two doors down to help someone else.

lds.org
Luckily, I was able to help with translating and that helped me feel better. But, the main miracle for me was being able to talk with this teacher about all sorts of things. We talked about church and about being teachers. (I even picked their brain a little since that is my major.)

I felt so happy. 

Earlier that day, I was feeling stressed out because we are encouraged to talk with EVERYONE and, for a shy girl, that is really hard. Even after all the practices and the scriptures or quotes, I just feel worse about myself. But, this experience helped me see this in a different light. True, it is important to talk with everyone about Christ or God so all have the opportunity to accept Him but, everyone is different. This talk I had with this teacher led me to feel so much joy. I walked away from that elementary school feeling so happy and just smiling non-stop. Even when our lesson canceled, I still just felt so excited about life. This conversation had combined several things I love (elementary education, teaching, religion, etc) and we both left feeling happier. Sometimes it is hard to talk about our personal lives or talk about things we hold dear with complete strangers but, when we do it with love and respect, both can come out edified and rejoice in what they had. As says Doctrine & Covenants 50:22.


lds.org
I know people are placed in our path for a reason. They may not believe the same as we do or even accept what we hold dear but, I know we can come out feeling better about what be believe and maybe even realize we believe it more than we know. I also know when we need it, God will put things in our paths to help us turn to Him and find peace. That is what happened to me. When I was stressed and did not know how to keep working hard, he let me be myself and talk to someone a little bit about what I believe without feeling pressure.


No comments:

Post a Comment