Thursday, February 27, 2014

Got Confidence?

Alright- I have hinted this a little bit but, today I am going to talk a little bit about something I really struggle with-

I am extremely shy.

There you have it. I might be able to type a lot online but, it has always been extremely hard for me to talk to people, especially strangers. Obviously, that makes mission life difficult when you mostly only talk to people that are strangers. 

"Confidence" from my brother
Recently, however, I was re-reading a letter I received from my brother (who is now on a mission) from a few months ago. At the end of the letter he brought up one of his favorite topics (as many of his friends from high school would agree to) and that is-

confidence.

After sharing Doctrine and Covenants 121:45 that says, "Let thy bowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven," my brother said that truly confident people:

1. Take a stand not because they think they are always right but because they are not afraid to be wrong
2. They listen 10x more than they speak
3. They freely ask for help
4. They don't put down other people
5. They only seek approval from the people who really matter. They only seek the Lord's approval, that's all that matters

As I was reading those points, it made me realize that I do not have to be super outgoing to be a super successful missionary but, just try my best to have confidence and rely on the Holy Ghost to lead and guide me. 

Everyone can have strength from God as long as you are willing  to try a little more to be a little better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment