Monday, January 13, 2014

A Personal Conversation with God

Today I was reflecting on prayers and, while reading more about the nature of God, I remembered a talk a friend of mine had shared with me from the June 2013 Ensign/Liahona entitled, "Improving Your Personal Prayers," (para español: aquí) by Elder Kevin Pearson.

lds.org
As I read this talk, I was reminded of how lucky we are to be able to pray to our Heavenly Father and the true purpose of prayer. Elder Pearson says, "To pray is to speak with God, the Eternal Father of our spirits- not at Him but with Him... Prayer is not a negotiation process. It is an alignment process. We don't more God to our point of view. Prayer is... about seeking His will and asking for His help to do what we need to do. When we align our will with Heavenly Father's will, answers and spiritual power will flow more freely."

This quote really stuck out to me because I know many times I focus more on my own personal needs and wants rather than what the Lord has prepared for me. However, I know when I am more open to God's will, my life is smoother and always ends up for the best.

lds.org
Elder Pearson also talks about being prepared to talk with God, our Eternal Father. Prayer is not just something we should just do without thinking. As I read that, I thought of the many times I had just rolled out or into bed just before or after praying. How much more would a person feel the love of God and be able to receive answers if we really thought about who we were praying to and how blessed we are to have that opportunity. Elder Pearson suggests, "finding a time and place where you can carefully ponder your life and your needs. Reflect on your divine identity and relationship to God. Strive to visualize Heavenly Father as your prepare to speak with Him. Think of the Savior in whose name you will be praying. Doing so will help you focus and prepare to pray with a humble and grateful heart."

I know that prayer is such a sacred privilege that we have and we can receive many answers and blessings through praying. I hope you, and I, can find more peace through personal prayer as we take the council of Elder Pearson and listen to the spirit as we pray. Prayer is a time to converse with God. It is a time to turn our will over to His to become better. It is our personal conversation with heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment