Friday, January 31, 2014

Your Influence

We never know what kind of influence, or impression, we leave with people.

This past week, I received a letter from home with a paper my "baby" brother wrote about his name. I smiled as I read it and thought about how much he had learned in such a short time. Then, I got to a paragraph that talked about his nicknames. He mentioned that his favorite was the one I had given him. I almost began to cry. I was so touched by his words. When I had made that nickname, I did not think it would mean much to him and when he wrote his paper, he did not know how much it would mean to me. Think what would have happened if, instead of a nickname, I had been mean and always called him "annoying?" Then what would have happened? Who knows.

Words are more powerful than we realize. Are we using them for good or are we using them for evil?

edited picture by Chelsey Fisher
James 3:6-12 says-
"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity... For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing... Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh..."
How can we tame our tongue to speak good things to help others, rather than hurt them?

Another scripture I read this morning is in Proverbs 15:1 that reads, "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." 

Are we careful with our words? Is there someone we need to apologize to? How can we help those around us draw closer to Christ by our words? 

The answer is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment