Friday, January 24, 2014

A Talent to Share

Recently, in our mission, we were given an opportunity to take a personality test and, from that, had a training on using our strengths with other's to help in missionary work. This has led me to reflect a lot about my personal strengths and talents and how I can use them to help others. One I have thought a lot about has been music. From a young age, I loved to sing and "dance." I wanted to learn to play piano and flute. I learned to play guitar and did musicals galore. In the moment, it seemed more just for my own pleasure. I loved to have anything to do with music because it gave me a boost of energy and made me feel "bubbly inside."

my edited photo
Now, I see that all that was a time for me to prepare to use my talents to help others come closer to Christ. On my mission I have had many opportunities to play piano for meetings or sing to help bring in the spirit. I never liked attention, and I still do not but, I feel so much joy to have others feel the Holy Ghost come into their hearts through something I can do that I enjoy.

One example was a few weeks ago, we were having a lesson but, the mother and son began to argue. My companion suggested I sing a hymn so, with their permission, I sang a hymn. The room went quiet. The other two children were mesmerized. The spirit came into that little living room so quickly and strongly. I know music is powerful and so are our talents. When we use them to help others, we can help God further His work. I do not always see the big picture but, He does and He will help others through our efforts. I know that to be true because I have seen its influence in my life and in my mission here.

How can you use your talents to help others come unto Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment