Saturday, November 30, 2013

Scriptural "Friends"

This morning I was watching a few Mormon Messages and one I had seen awhile ago came on and reminded me of how great it is to study the scriptures. It compares memorizing scriptures to "old friends" that can help us look at things differently when reflected upon in a new light.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Words with Friends"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have had this experience. Back in Seminary during high school (a church class I had before school at about 6am), we were encouraged to memorize 25 scriptures every year (a total of 100 by the end of High School). When I began, I made a goal that I would do this and I kept that goal. Because of this, I memorized 100 scriptures. That is not saying I still have all 100 memorized word for word but, I have a basic idea to help me when I need them. Several times, I will be teaching someone and a scripture from Seminary will come to mind and I will share it and answer a question they had or simply have support from the scriptures. There have also been times when I have been going through a rough time and one of those "old friends" will come to mind and take on a whole new meaning for me. This has been such a blessing to continue to learn and grow from the same scriptures I learned back in High School. We can always learn something new or have some new part stick out to us and help us through our lives.

For more on Scripture Mastery Scriptures from Seminary go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment