Thursday, November 28, 2013

Grateful for the little things

Today is Thanksgiving. Usually, I sit around gorging myself with food and listening to Christmas music as I spend time with friends or family. The past two years I was at school and spent it very relaxed. This year, as a missionary, it has been a little different...

my photo from a football game awhile ago.
Wake up. It's 6:30 again. The usual routine.

Some studies. Feeling grateful.

Then, my companion and I look up scriptures. This one can help someone.

Help serve food to people in need. So many people.

Veteran's Home. Piano and Hymns. We begin with Christmas.

Then, we switch to America the Beautiful, My Country 'tis of Thee, and The Star Spangled Banner. Usually, these songs are not associated with Thanksgiving. I play them and sing the simple words. I feel overwhelmed with gratefulness for what I have and for the freedoms of this country. Stop the tears. Keep playing. How blessed I am.

Many times, I realize I take for granted the blessings I have. It is so easy to get caught up in "I don't have this so I'm not happy" but, we need to look at the small things. Some of my simple blessings today are...

I woke up this morning. I have a family who loves me dearly. I have a bed to sleep in. I have good food to eat. I have ways to connect with friends and family who are far away. I have a healthy body. I am able to get antibiotics and medications when I need them to keep me healthy. I have wonderful friends who are great examples to me. I have clean water to drink. I get to wear the name of Christ on my shirt every day. I get to share what I believe with others. I get to worship in the way I wish to. I can say things I want to. I can sing and play piano to help others who are struggling. I am serving in a great area with great people. I have so much. I am so grateful for these little things I have.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment