Saturday, November 9, 2013

My Story. My Change.

Today I would like to open up a little bit to connect with those of you who happen to read this post. I am typically a very shy person and have struggled with that for a good chunk of my life. Now, I know you're probably thinking, "But, you're a missionary! Missionaries talk with everyone!"

Now, you see my dilemma. 

When I was growing up it would take me at least a half hour of tears to make a phone call. Yes, it was that hard to talk with strangers. Obviously, it has gotten better from that point but, it is still something I struggle with.

This week, we had the opportunity to hear from Elder Don R. Clark. I felt edified and uplifted but, I also felt very overwhelmed because I realized how much I, myself, would need to change to be the kind of missionary I wanted to be. This stressed me out a lot and I became almost silent for a few days as I tried to think through how I would continue to work through this. During a talk with my companion, we talked about the changes I had made and I was able to sort through some of my struggle. Now, I'm not going to say I'm all of a sudden cured of my shyness. On the contrary, I am far from overcoming it but, I know who I can turn to for help. I can turn to God for help and answers through the scriptures and prayer. Here are a few of the scriptures I read that have given me strength:

Alma 26:27 "Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said:...bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success."

Doctrine & Covenants 58:2-4 "For verily I say unto you, blessed is he that keepeth my commandments, whether in life or in death; and he that is faithful in tribulation, the reward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven... for after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand." 

Ether 12:27 "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." 

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

And so many more found in Doctrine & Covenants 84:88, 2 Kings 6:16, etc. I know God lives and can help us through our struggles if we turn to Him and seek his guidance to help us be the person he wants us to be.
I know because it has happened to me. 

https://www.facebook.com/LDSWomen

No comments:

Post a Comment