Thursday, November 14, 2013

Serve our Fellow Man, Serve Christ

Today my companion and I talked with a man who told us about someone being blessed for serving. This person had not been expecting this gift. They simply did it out of the goodness of their heart. His point was how we never know who we touch with something as simple as a smile.

This reminded me of the importance it is to do service for others. Service is a way for others to feel of Christ's love for them. This love is also called charity.

This morning, my companion and I did a lot of study on charity for a training with other missionaries. There are so many scriptures that revolve around this little word. I would like to share one of these:

Moroni 7:45-48 "And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail- "

This verse can bring on a whole new meaning to the scripture found in Mosiah 2:17 when you place Christ in the place of Charity. If we do this, Moroni then reads, "And Christ suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not his own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not Christ  ye are nothing, for Christ never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto Christ, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail- "

The first time I saw this back in high school was very powerful. When we do these things, when we have charity, we become more like our Savior, Jesus Christ. When we do this, we are happier and will be blessed.

There is a hymn I love that is called, "Have I done any Good?" It is a good reminder to help those around us and see if we are doing what we should. The words are as follows:

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

(Chorus)
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try,"
But go and do something today.
'Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love's labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known. 

No comments:

Post a Comment