Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fear

How often do we talk about how Christ has blessed our life but, when asked to share it with others are too scared to do so? I know I am. It's a lot easier for me, as a missionary, to go up to random strangers on the street and talk about Jesus Christ and church than it is to talk to my own friends and family who are so close to me. Why is that? Is it because we fear being rejected? Do we fear we will lose their trust? Do we fear being labeled as a "churchy person?" Why do we fear these things?

Peter denying Christ
lds.org
In John 14 we read, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid... If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I." (verses 27&28).

If we love Christ, we have no need to fear. It is the devil who makes us fear man more than God. It is hard to change this but, with prayer and a willing heart, it is possible. In the past weeks, I have reached out to a few friends and family to tell them about the joy I have found through Christ, many do not want to hear it but, in case one does, that is why I do it. It is very scary for me but, the scripture above, brings me peace and helps me to have the courage and love I need.


Even the greatest have fears. Remember the story of Peter when he denied Christ three times. He had seen Christ with his own eyes but, feared man around him. However, Christ says later, "Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? ... Feed my sheep." (John 21:15-17) If we love Christ, we need to rejoice in His life and resurrection and share His gospel and love with others around us so that they too can feel of the joy that comes from Him. I know that to be true. I feel so much happier after I have shared my testimony of my Savior with others that I love because I know I am doing what God wants me to do, especially when it is hard for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment